Monday, September 7, 2020

My Review of the Live Action Mulan

Confession time! I caved and bought Mulan for $29.99 on DisneyPlus after hearing how much my fellow Disney friends loved it! I had been tempted to watch it since I saw the trailer. Also, seeing the film in my own home instead of going to a crowded theater where people may be distracting with their phones or kids who constantly talk was appealing. In my previous post I was pretty set on not buying the film for that price. But let's face it, if I decided to go to the theater I'd be paying that price for my husband and I to go anyway and maybe more with popcorn, snacks, and drinks included. In my home I can have whatever snacks I want and pause the film for bathroom breaks. Onto the film itself! By the way, there's really no spoilers. Mulan right from childhood knows how to fight and wield a sword. So instead of Mulan growing into a warrior she is pretty much already destined to be one. Her mother disapproves because she wants Mulan to be more demure so she can be married off. Her father encourages Mulan's chi, but soon stops for he knows the people in their village will call Mulan a witch. As we know, Mulan displeases the matchmaker and when she finds out her father is called to war she takes his place. In the family there is a difference. There is no grandmother which I did miss since she was such an awesome character in the film! Instead Mulan has a sister. I liked their relationship because you could see how close they were to each other. The film did have a more serious tone to it. There were a few funny scenes and they weren't even laugh out loud funny honestly. That was something I really missed from the animated film. I understood that this film was more focused on the true story and the culture, but I wish the movie was a bit more funny. Also, the hawk from the previous film is now actually a witch in disguise. She has chi just like Mulan and she was banished for it. She convinces Mulan to be her trueself to show her that the army men will turn their backs on her which they do. But Mulan manages to win them over by letting them know there's another attack about to happen and they must rescue the emperor. Mulan takes on the main villain by herself after the other men stay behind and battle the other men so she can rescue the emperor. She proves how much of a loyal, brave and true warrior she is and is offered to be a guard for the emperor. Before Mulan accepts this high honor she returns home to her family and they couldn't be prouder of the woman she has become. Also, there is a "love interest" for Mulan in the film, but honestly this person didn't feel like a love interest to me. There was no chemistry between him and Mulan and I only saw them as really good friends. I have been enjoying the live action films more than the animations lately, but this is not one of those moments. Mulan the live action was good, but not better than the animated classic. I give it 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment