Friday, February 14, 2020

Toy Story 4 Review

On Disney+ I was finally able to see Toy Story 4! I love all the Toy Story movies and for this lovely series each movie got better as it went on. In this movie we finally find out what happened to our beloved Bo-Peep and her sheep BillyGoatandGruff nine years ago. This was the one toy that Woody could not save. Bo-Peep decided to move on and leave Andy's house. It broke Woody's heart, but he let her go. 
Now we're in present time where Bonnie has Andy's toys. She plays with them all except for Woody. This was strange to me because Woody was Bonnie's favorite out of the collection she received from Andy. Also, Andy trusted this girl to take care of every single one of them and play with them. Of course Bonnie is only five so you can't expect her to just do it. She's a kid and is going to do what she wants. And I know kids can lose interest quickly, but she still played with all those toys, but no longer Woody? My guess is she has Jessie the cowgirl now so maybe she doesn't need the cowboy. Or she just lost interest and got bored with him which is natural, but it was still sad to see. 
Bonnie starts kindergarten where she builds a new friend/toy Forky. Forky doesn't want to be a toy though. Woody makes it his mission to keep Bonnie happy and try to convince Forky to be her toy. Woody feels lost due to Bonnie losing interest in him. This is the next best way he knows how to keep his kid happy. 
Due to Forky trying to escape, Woody runs into trouble when another toy, Gabby Gabby wants his voice box. Gabby Gabby longs to be loved just like all the other toys. Gabby Gabby feels that because her voice box is broken no child will want her. I didn't feel sorry for Gabby Gabby just yet. She has these creepy dummies as her accomplices and seemed a bit psycho. Luckily, Gabby Gabby didn't get what she wanted just yet. 
When Woody escapes without Forky, he finds Bo-Peep and her sheep! They are delighted to see each other. We also get a rundown on how Bo-Peep has been a lost toy for years. She has no intention of changing that because she loves it! I was so happy about Woody and Bo finding each other again! This would be a chance for Woody to bring her back and possibly find his place in Bonnie's life with Bo by his side. 
Bo-Peep agrees to help Woody get Forky back. Throughout this Woody and Bo-Peep realize how much they missed each other. Even though they have missed each other, their relationship hasn't missed a beat. They still care deeply for one another and would do anything for each other. 
The relationship does become strained when Woody pushes all the other toys too hard on getting Forky back. On his own Woody gets Forky back by giving Gabby Gabby his voice box. He knows that getting Forky back to Bonnie will make her happy and makes peace with this. Gabby Gabby has her sights set on the store owner's granddaughter Harmony to be her child. When Harmony rejects her, Woody prompts Gabby Gabby to go with him back to Bonnie to which she agrees. Now, I still didn't feel sad for Gabby Gabby or really like her character. She manipulated Woody by using his feelings to get what she wanted. It confirmed Woody's feelings enough for him to give Gabby Gabby his voice box. I laughed when Harmony threw her in the box! She didn't need a voice box in order to have love. I loved my toys when they lost their voice boxes or when their batteries died just as much. Why wouldn't another kid do the same? The store Gabby Gabby was at lacked interest in the toys department as stated by Gabby Gabby and Bo-Peep (which is why Bo left). Why not just go to another store and see different results? Nope, she had to be greedy and manipulative to Woody instead. 
Despite the whole ordeal Woody saves Gabby Gabby from the store and takes her under his wing. On the way to get to Bonnie, Gabby Gabby spies a girl who is lost, scared, and crying at the carnival taking place during the movie. She knows that this little girl needs her. Woody and the other toys help Gabby Gabby with getting this little girl Rosie's attention. Rosie is comforted enough by Gabby Gabby to ask for help in locating her family which she does. I actually cried at this scene and was finally liking Gabby Gabby. It's emotional because I'm sure a lot of us experienced a scary moment in our lives that made us hug our favorite toy. I still love toys/dolls and this scene was heartwarming. 
At the end of the movie, I really thought that Bo-Peep and the other new toys Ducky, Bunny, etc. would go with Woody. I actually liked though that Bo stuck to her guns and she decided to stay a lost toy. At the same time, I wanted her and Woody to be together again so I wanted her to go with. Instead, Buzz assures Woody that Bonnie will be ok and that he should go with Bo-Peep. It's a very bittersweet moment for everyone. All of the toys and Woody have been together through everything! But they all love him enough to let him go and be found again. I'm a sucker for bittersweet endings and I again cried. I'm so happy for Woody and Bo, but he's leaving the whole gang. So, that makes it really sad and Toy Story tears up my heart once again.
At first, I didn't like the ending because the toys all split up. I didn't want Woody to go, but I realized it was in his best interest. Being with Bonnie made him feel lost and with Bo he felt found again. Buzz even realized that and that's why he convinced Woody to go and be with Bo. 
I'm pretty certain with this ending, there will be a Toy Story 5. I'm completely ok with that because this series gets better and better as the movies go on. Also, I know it's another way Disney can milk the cow, but they're going to make money because they you all will go and see the movies. We all do it!
Anyway, this gets an 8 out of 10 for me. Despite a few bumps I still really enjoyed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment