Saturday, February 1, 2020

Review of Lion King Live Action

I've been putting off watching the live action Lion King. I've heard that it was just a frame by frame of the animation (which isn't completely true). Also, I heard Beyoncé a little in "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and she was overpowering the song. But also, I've had a history of enjoying the live action films more than the animations. This one was no exception I am pleased to say. 
The beginning of the Lion King was a frame by frame and I actually really loved that! I was tearing up at how beautifully it was recreated into a live action type of deal. Other than that, it wasn't a frame by frame of the animation. The movie stuck very closely to the animated film with a few small changes. We got to see Nala leave the Pridelands in search of help for the pride. It was significant to the movie because if she hadn't left to seek help, Simba probably would have never returned. Shenzi was the leader of the hyenas. I thought that was a good move because she was the smarter one out of the three in the animation. 
The movie does have a more serious feel to it during "Be Prepared". The song isn't a fun villain song/scene anymore. Scar is more serious and conniving in this film. The scene of this song actually reeks of dark betrayal coming. Scar has to convince the hyenas to join him in his plan to kill Mufasa. 
Of course the scene where Mufasa dies is still a tearjerker. But the film producers didn't linger on this scene as long as the animation. It did leave me a little disappointed. At the same time though before this happened, we saw such a sweet bond between Mufasa and Simba. So, it still really tugged at my heart strings when that scene took place. 
I wish the song "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" was done better. Beyoncé overpowered this song to where you could barely hear Donald Glover. The songs for the live actions always get remade and I usually like them. This one I was not a fan of. Although, I did enjoy the new song "Spirit" from Beyoncé that was added to the film. That song was perfect for the scene where Simba was running back to his true home. 
The scene where the final battle between Simba and Scar takes place was done very well! It was pretty close to how it happened in the animated film. It was tweaked a bit with Nala and Shenzi squaring off for a few minutes. And of course our other character's Rafiki, Timon, and Pumba doing their part to help out. 
At times in the film it felt like I was watching an episode of animal planet which was great! I was afraid even with the "live action" aspect it wouldn't have that real feel to it. But this film really did! Just like The Jungle Book has. The film was beautifully done and even the changes were minimal, but well done. If you're having doubts I highly recommend seeing this, I don't think you'll be disappointed in this film. Or if you're picky and don't like changes to these films then don't bother. Seriously, the changes are small and I don't think they will affect anyone much. 
With that said, I'm giving this a 9/10. I would love to give it a 10/10, but that Beyoncé just really irritated me. Other than this film was great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment