Saturday, February 29, 2020

Disney Sequels

If you haven't heard, my favorite live action film Aladdin is getting a sequel. There is no talk of a release date yet, but it is in the works! So far it sounds like all of the original cast is returning, but I haven't heard of anything about Naomi Scott (Jasmine) just yet. Hopefully, we'll hear something soon because I think she did a fantastic job of portraying my favorite Disney princess of all time! Also, Frozen II just came out, I have yet to see it. But I have listened to the songs and Elsa's new hits "Show Yourself" and "Into the Unknown" are amazing! Even better than "Let it Go". Since sequels are on the rise I wanted to talk about some of Disney's sequels that I enjoy and others that I do not. Also, if you can believe it, there are a few I haven't seen, too!

Cinderella II: Dreams Come Tue and Cinderella III: A Twist in Time!
I enjoy Dreams Come True and watched it multiple times when I was younger. This movie explores Cinderella's life during the time she is in the palace. There are three parts to this movie. The first part of the movie Cinderella is expected to be a proper princess and follow the old rules. She makes a bold move by changing a few of the old ways to the king's surprise liking. I really loved this story because it showed us a backbone that we didn't know Cinderella had. Second part of the movie the fairy Godmother grants Jaq's wish to be a human so he can spend more time with Cinderella. He learns later that it's better to be himself. This was a cliché story, but still cute and sweet. The third part was my favorite one out of the three. Cinderella's stepsister Anastasia falls in love with the baker, but she knows her stepmother Lady Tremaine would not approve. Cinderella takes it upon herself to help Anastasia and the baker to be together. Anastasia even stands up to Lady Tremaine so she can be with him. I liked the idea of exploring Cinderella's life inside the palace and other character's. It even showed another side to Anastasia that we didn't know existed. This gets a 6/10 Did I like it more than the first? Yes
A Twist in Time was an even better sequel. I didn't have much appreciation for Cinderella before this film. When Lady Tremaine gets a hold of the Fairy Godmother's wand and reverses all of the events of Cinderella becoming Queen, Cinderella has to save the day. Instead of Charming rescuing her like a typical prince, he's the one who needs saving. Cinderella goes through a lot to restore the love she and Charming had. Everything she goes through gave me more respect for this Disney Princess. 10/10 Did I like it more than the first? Yes, again!


The Lion King 1/2 and Lion King II: Simba's Pride
There isn't much for me to say about 1/2. Honestly, there was basically no point of this movie. I love Timon and Pumba, but this move was just a money grabber and that's it. I hardly remember it, I watched some of it once and I'm certain I fell asleep it was so boring. 1/10 Did I like it more than the first? Hell no!
Now Simba's Pride was an excellent sequel that I feel like we all love! This happens after Kiara (Simba's daughter) is born and now he and Nala rule the Pride Lands. This time the lions are at war with each other. Kiara meets Kovu when they are young and he is a part of the tribe of lions that followed Scar. The two want to bring their people together and exist as one whole population of lions. There are so many good elements to this story! The relationships are excellently built up and I love how it all comes together in the end. 10/10 Did I like more than the first? Yes!


Aladdin II: The Return of Jafar and Aladdin and the King of Thieves 
While I enjoyed the sequel and loved it while I was younger, I am not a fan of the lazy animation. If you're going to make a sequel you should put more effort into it. The animation matched that of the Aladdin tv series which makes me sad now as an adult. This movie had potential with making Iago into the hero that no one wanted to trust. It sadly only did not live up to it due to the poor animation. 8/10 Did I like it more than the first? No
King of Thieves had the same animation problem, unfortunately. But this movie was better than Return of Jafar as a sequel. I missed princess Jasmine being in the film, but the series is meant to revolve around Aladdin more of course. This movie was for Aladdin to find his father and rebuild the relationship they never had. It's short lived because his father longs to still venture out into the world, but Aladdin understands this very well. Aladdin and Jasmine also get married which I didn't think had to happen. I always believed they got married at the end of the first film. Their outfits were very fitting while in the third film they were the typical wedding ensemble. This one also get an 8/10. Did I like more than the first? Once again, no.


Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
I thought this film was so adorable and it's another one I watched a lot when I was a little girl. I loved watching Tramp and Lady's son act like a younger version of Tramp. Scamp longs to be free and is sick of being tied to an owner. He meets Angel who is the exact opposite and longs for a home. He goes off with the junkyard dogs who have no home. Scamp learns quickly that life with his loving family was better and that he didn't appreciate it enough. He goes back home and even brings Angel with him and that ending made me so happy for both of them! 10/10 Did I like it more than the first? Yes


Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
In this film Ariel cuts her ties with the sea completely to keep her daughter safe from Ursula's sister Morgana who wants revenge. Melody is the opposite of Ariel in this film where she longs to be part of the sea. While Ariel wanted to be part of the human world. Melody doesn't completely understand why her mother would keep the sea from her. In her fit of anger she makes a reckless decision in order to become a mermaid. It's up to Melody to stop Morgana and bring peace between the sea and human world once more. This is one of my favorite sequels in Disney. It had a wonderful story and I loved the new character's that were brought in. The songs weren't as good though. 9/10 Did I like it more than the first? No



Peter Pan II: Return to Neverland
So this sequel has a similar storyline to that of The Little Mermaid. Wendy's daughter Jane grows up so quickly that she even loses her faith in the fairytales she grew up with. But her mother still enjoys them immensely. When Jane is mistaken for being her mother she finds out how real Neverland truly is when Tinkerbell's life is on the line. This was another great sequel and I loved that it went in the opposite direction for Jane. Even though she made a regretful decision she's able to truly redeem herself. Some people will not like her at first, but you grow to love her. Jane and Peter didn't have as good of a relationship as he and Wendy did, but it made their relationship that much stronger at the end of it all. 7/10 Did I like it more than the first? Yes


Mulan II
After the war Mulan and Shang get engaged to wed even thought they haven't known each other long. This film tests their relationship as they take the emperor's daughters to wed a prince they don't want to. Accompanying them is returning character's Ling, Yao, and Chien-Po who all fall in love with one of the princesses each. Shang and Mulan are put at odds with each other when they discover this which causes tension in their relationship. A horrible tragedy makes them realize how much they really love each other and that they are meant to be yin and yang. This film had everything the first one did, but it was focused more on the romantic aspects. The new songs are catchy, but not as good as the ones from the first film. 9/10 Did I like it more than the first? No


Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
I hated this sequel so much I like to act like it never even happened. But I want to talk about my strong dislike for it. I feel like Disney just took the relationship Pocahontas and John Smith had built together and just tore it right back to where it was! Pocahontas is fighting to keep peace between her people and the white men. She wants to face the king one on one and convince him that her people are not hiding any gold like Radcliffe has claimed. Smith tries to stop her and doesn't have faith in her. This dude saw Pocahontas risk her life for him and she ended a war by doing so. A new character Rolf is brought in who tries to change Pocahontas so she can fit in with his society when she goes to meet the king. He does support her in standing up to the king unlike Smith. But she had to prove to Rolf that she can take care of herself and her people while Smith reverted back. Pocahontas and Smith realize that they are no longer on the same path and they part ways for good. She moves on to be with Rolf. What was the point of the relationship between Pocahontas and Smith if you were just going to tear it down? Rolf constantly fought her on every single thing she wanted to do right until the very end. The songs also were not as good at all as the ones in the first film. 1/10 Did I like it more than the first film? Do I really need to answer that ridiculous question for this atrocious movie?


The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
This story takes place seven years after the first film. Esmeralda and Phoebus have a son named Zephyr that does play an important role later in the film. Quasimodo falls in love with Madellaine and she does with him too, but later once she knows him a bit more. Sarousch orders Madellaine to find the bell in the tower filled the jewels and in order to do so she gets close to Quasimodo, not expecting to actually fall in love with him. Madellaine breaks Quasimodo's heart once he discovers her true motives. She redeems herself by saving Zephyr and helping to capture Sarousch. The film is cute and fun, but I feel like it was mainly made just to give Quasimodo a love interest since it didn't work out with Esmeralda. Of course the guy deserves love, but this storyline felt a bit lazy in that sense. I do love the line in the movie though from Sarousch when he's looking in the mirror "I could kiss me, but then I'd fall in love" 6/10 Do I like it more than the first film? No 


This is just my opinion on some of the sequels. I was going to talk about Beauty and the Beast, but these films aren't really sequels. The Christmas movie is during the time that the prince was a Beast. The story is being told from Mrs. Potts afterward, but we only see Belle and the prince for like five minutes at the end of the film. Then Belle's Magical World is the same way where it takes place during the prince's time as a Beast. 
Ones I have yet to see are Bambi II, Fox and the Hound II, Brother Bear II, and 101 Dalmations II which I hopefully will get to soon!
As you can see I enjoyed almost all of the sequels! So, should Disney keep making sequels. I would say yes, even though I don't always like them more than the first film. They are still enjoyable and fun to watch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment